4912-53 Street, PO Box 981
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N7
Phone: (867) 920-2644
Fax: (867) 920-2348
4919-53 Street, PO Box 981
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2N7
Phone: (867) 920-2644
Fax: (867) 669-7826
To apply to the positions below, please contact email@example.com
Position Title: Supported Living Worker
Purpose and Scope of Position:
The Yellowknife Association for Community Living (Association) is a non-profit organization providing services to individuals with intellectual disabilities and their families, assisting them in living meaningful lives in supportive communities.
The Supported Living Worker ensures the well-being of clients in all aspects of daily living including residential services. A key component of this job is to assist clients in their physical, social, emotional and life skills development. This increases their independence and allows them to function appropriately in the community. The work includes:
- Providing support to adults in care. Services provided include crisis intervention, behavior management, and life skills training, whether on a one-to-one basis or in a group environment.
- Planning, developing, implementing and evaluating recreational, social, economic and/or educational activities for clients.
The Worker strives to create a positive and enjoyable atmosphere in order to encourage client participation in all aspects of life.
The Worker supports the independence of each client by not doing for them but doing with them. Each client is encouraged to participate in all facets of daily life to the extent that they are able.
Reports to the Manager overall and Team Leaders when working in a specific home.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Aids clients to allow them to function more safely and independently in their own homes/program and in the community and facilitates physical, recreational, social and educational activities.
- Identifies social, economic, physical, recreational and educational services and activities in the community that will meet clients’ needs.
- Participates in group planning which focuses on the needs of each client.
- Monitors and evaluates clients’ progress. Provides feedback and support to fellow staff and clients. Provides suggestions for the modification of clients’ program plans.
- Provides input to management with regard to the development of the program and participates in program evaluations.
Documentation and Issues
- Provides verbal updates on clients during hand-off at end of each shift to next worker. Documents clients’ daily activities and progress in the log book. Ensures that all required documentation is complete and accurate.
- Assists management team in identifying potential problems or areas of challenge for clients.
- Recognizes potential emergency or challenging situations, analyzes situations accurately, and develops strategies to deal with such situations i.e. dispensing medication, dealing with client’s behaviour to ensure no harm comes to the client, staff and/or the public.
- Recognizes potential crisis situations, analyzes such situations accurately, develops strategies to deal with such situations, and informs the Team Leader and Manager when such incidents arise.
- Completes incident reports as required by YKACL policy.
Direct Client Support (always based on the principle of promoting independence and encouraging the client to do as much as they can for themselves)
- Assists and teaches clients daily life skills and/or behaviour management training.
- Assists and teaches clients personal hygiene and grooming i.e. bathing, oral hygiene, and toileting. Depending on client, may assist with hygiene, grooming, dispensing and administering medication.
- Assists and teaches clients basic cooking, meal planning and preparation. Assists clients with the preparation of meals, snacks, etc. with safe food handling and preparation, safety, and health standards.
- With the Team Leader and the clients where possible, delivers a breakfast, lunch and dinner menu designed to meet the needs of the clients, ensuring that meals are nutritious and satisfying. May plan and help prepare special diets or special events meals in consultation with the organization’s program staff.
- With the clients, purchases food items necessary for the preparation of meals. Ensures purchases are within approved budget limits and ensures that inventories of food and other related items are maintained.
- Assists clients as needed in attending appointments, work placements and other activities.
- Ensures that all requirements are met to provide safe transportation.
- Provides support and feedback to clients.
- Acts as a positive role model for clients including modelling behaviours and household activities.
- Encourages and facilitates the participation of individuals in a range of activities and programs, both within and outside the home.
- Monitors clients’ well-being and works with the team leader to address issues.
- Assists clients with therapeutic rehabilitation activities after receiving instruction.
- Assists clients in cleaning rooms within their home: washes walls; scrubs, cleans and vacuums floors; dusts furniture; cleans mirrors and windows.
- Provides life skills training to clients.
- Answer phone and/or in-person inquiries and routes to appropriate staff member if required. Responds to routine queries with regard to the organization and services provided.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of internal fire regulations and procedures, and other emergency procedures. Ensures health and safety standards are maintained.
- Performs other related duties as required.
The following are required:
- Relevant Post-secondary diploma
- Current valid drivers licence with no major infractions on the driving record
- Criminal record check
- Ability to engage in activities including those involving lifting or pushing up to 30 pounds (including gardening, cleaning, yard maintenance)
POSITION PROFILE – RESPITE WORKER (casual)
Purpose of the Position
To provide the highest quality of respite care in accordance with Yellowknife Association for Community Living’s mission. Respite Care provides planned relief for families and the people with disabilities that they care for. Respite Workers carry out duties usually performed by the families in the day-to-day support of their loved ones with disabilities.
The Family and Children Services Manager and the Families receiving respite support supervise the Respite Workers. All positions within the Respite Program report to the Family and Children Services Manager.
- To ensure timely and thorough communication with families regarding periods of respite
- To promote choice and decision making according to the needs and preferences of the individual and his/her family
- To carry out activities that move toward mutually determined goals for each individual receiving respite support
- To develop and participate in interesting and stimulating activities that are care recipient focused (in keeping with individual family preferences that are both in-home and community based)
- To maintain a positive attitude with all participants and their families
- To demonstrate flexibility and creativity in providing respite support to families
- To follow all of Yellowknife Association for Community Living’s policies and procedures as outlined in the training program, orientation sessions, Policy Manual, and Respite Worker Resource Manual
- To share with the Family and Children Services Manager, in a timely and thorough manner, any information affecting respite service
- To work collaboratively with all people who support respite recipients and their families. This could include, but not limited to; Family and Children Services Manager, coworkers, and staff of the Yellowknife Association for Community Living
- To complete the mandatory training program and necessary updates as required by Yellowknife Association for Community Living (First Aid and CPR, Criminal Record Check, vehicle insurance, etc)
- To identify ways of meeting other professional or personal development needs in consultation with the Family and Children Services Manager
- Other duties as required
Documentation and Reporting
- Maintains accurate and complete Care Recipient files such as Medication and Treatment Record, Incident Report, etc
- Adheres to all policies and procedures as outlined in the Respite Program Policy Booklet and Respite Worker Resource Manual
- Assist the Family and Children Services Manager with data contributing for regular reporting
- Uses Best Practice Standards to protect the human rights of all Care Recipients (eg confidentiality, consent to release information)
- Participates in self-evaluation in reference to program goals and objectives
Knowledge and Skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrates sound decision making skills
- Current First Aid and CPR
- Non-judgemental attitude and commitment to full community participation for people with disabilities
- Ability to be flexible and creative
- Knowledge of supporting the needs of people with intellectual disabilities
- Common sense and the ability to make decisions in sometimes stressful situations that are based on the best interest of the Care Recipient
Note: The above job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and activities required for this position.
- Patient and cooperative
- Positive and friendly
- Culturally sensitive
- Honest and fair
- Open to change
- Creative and flexible
- Hardworking and dedicated
- A team player
- Respectful to care recipients, their families, employers, and colleagues
- Passionate about respite support for people living with disabilities
The Respite Worker would typically spend most of their time in the homes of Care Recipients or at community events/activities with Care Recipients. Physical requirements may vary depending on the disability of the Care Recipient and could include assistance with mobility, toileting, transferring from bed to chair, etc
Working with individuals with varying abilities requires attention to detail, ability to follow directions, as well as accurate listening skills.